slowwness at boot (hours)

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 13:38:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:23 -0500, Marc Lijour wrote:
> Plenty of things go wrong. I asked to fix it each time, but it does not seem
> to reach a fix point. I play it again and it finds new errors.
>
> Is the hard drive dying?

With older Unix we had to run fsck multiple times until it ran clean. I
don't think that is necessarily the case here.

First get a backup if you can.

Run dmesg, if the hard disk is dying you should see messages regarding
your disks or your RAID card. Checkout smartd, it can give more detailed
information about your disks.

Also go the mfg's web site and grab their disk testing tool.

If the disk looks good it may be that the file system is mangled in such
a way that it can't be fixed, basically a bug in the fs driver. I've
seen this before.

I would also give the system a work out in any way that you can. Run
memtest86 for memory. Use whatever tools you have at hand to verify CPU
and cache.