Question for TLUGgers: How can Canada take a leading role in FOSS?

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 13:23:26 UTC 2006

> Harnessing the mind of a nation is an engineering problem, so it's not
> insurmountable.

Hilarious! I know I'm among kindred spirits when a quote like this
makes sense to me.

Scott, I believe that conditions change for the better in other
countries because a group of citizens form a successful lobby group,
and after a campaign of public awareness and letter-writing, for
example, they successfully influence policy.

Waiting for the Green Party to make it into office is a fool's game: I
like them as well as anyone but in Canada we're in for a long wait.

Much better to rally the support of as many like-minded individuals as
we can, and start a foundation, a Canadian FSF for example. It's not
rocket science:

- A small group of us would act as organizers and strategists.
- We would decide on a course of action that would result in us
achieving our goals.
- The majority of the membership would assist in getting those actions
accomplished.

Simple, right? I don't know if an organization like that already
exists (frankly, I was merely taken with Scott's analysis of the
situation this morning, so I haven't done research), but if so, they
are clearly not doing their job!

We have, on this list, some of the smartest people anywhere. It would
be a shame if we couldn't harness that group intelligence to do some
good for our society.

Cheers,
Aaron.