Question for TLUGgers: How can Canada take a leading role in FOSS?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 10:33:29 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
[...]
> None of them, and only a paucity of the country's population, have any
> reason to oppose the sorts of things that DRM-heavy companies whether
> Microsoft, Sony, or buddies of the movie and recording distribution
> apparatuses of the world.

Sure we need economic infrastructure, but DRM is posion.  Just like
the rest of the minefield that is Intellectual Property.  And that
paucity thing needs to change.

C-60?  C-78? (both from the last parliament) http://www.onlinerights.ca/

> I don't think there's any existing large group that could be harnessed
> as a natural constitency to oppose the ills that are involved.

There is one - the citizens.  What I mean hear is that we have
enabling technology.  We have problem solvers, students, teachers,
business, everybody on the net.

Harnessing the mind of a nation is an engineering problem, so it's not
insurmountable.

> Stepping back to the beginning, when names that predate Confederation
> like Molson and Labatt are still prominent, and when we have the
> ongoing Lord Black issue, I'm not sure there's reason to believe that
> the Family Compact ever died off, when families are still there...

Then maybe some of the usually quieter families need to stand up.

Oh wait, they're all blogging.  =)

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be
peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care
enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a
revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We
can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability."

  - John F. Kennedy