Question for TLUGgers: How can Canada take a leading role in FOSS?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 01:30:39 UTC 2006

Just curious if anyone out there has an opinion.

I joined the TLUG list back in '04 with the question "What is the
status of Open Source in Canada?"

Jury's still out on that question, but _there are_ some Countries who
take FOSS and related topics seriously.

Amongst those I'd consider "in-tune" are the Netherlands, Germany,
Australia, and Britain.  Gotta include the U.S. - regardless of the
U.S. Federal Governments' stance on things, a great number of U.S.
citizens (and some States) undertand and support FOSS.

So in the end, where is Canada in the scheme of things?  How can we do better?

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be
peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care
enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a
revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We
can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability."

  - John F. Kennedy