laptops for kids for $ 100

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 29 18:55:33 UTC 2005

"50 percent of cost of today's laptops is in sales promotion, marketing,
etc.  We have none of that cost.  The rest of it is the display — and we
have a lot of expertise working to bring the cost of that down to $35.
As for the rest of the parts, at least 75 percent of it is there to
support the weight of the operating system…I'm not just picking on
Microsoft.  This is true of Adobe and others as well.  Invariably, next
release [of software] is worse than next one… It's gotten so fat, so
slow, so obese, so unreliable that it's time to start over and dumb it
down with skinny Linux — skinny open source."

More at http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1935

zb.