User authentication and notebooks

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 29 18:40:41 UTC 2005

I was wondering about user authentication for users with notebook
computers.  In Windows, a user can log into a domain, or just the
computer.  Is there something similar with Linux?  As I understand, NIS,
LDAP and Samba can all be used for domain login.  Can any of them also
be used for a local login, to the computer?  This would be relevant,
when a notebook computer is used away from the network.

tnx jk