D-Link DWL-G122 USB Adapter work in Debian/Ubuntu?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 28 20:12:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:07:52PM -0400, Steve wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I assume that the DWL-122 (802.11b only) with the
> prism2_usb chipset should work fine then? I've read that someone with
> the Netgear MA111 (same chipset) got it to work... I can pick up the
> DWL-122 for $39, so that sounds like a better idea... less $$ *and*
> less headache. :-)

I wouldn't assume that.  Depends on revision in general.  Many times
dlink changes the chipset on the model to make it cheaper to
manufacture.  Many prism based devices went from having a hardmac (and
linux support) in one revision to a prism with soft mac in the next
revision (and hence no linux support), all with the same model number
and packaging.  Only change was the revision and the updated driver that
supported soft and hard mac, and it became cheaper to make.  And of
course it stopped working with linux.  Many companies have done this.

You can simply NEVER assume a given device works with linux unless you
know that specific model AND revision works with linux.

Len Sorensen