Flash player on x86_64?

Len Sorensen lsorense-7VGveLnaG5PbQjhCxjW6FA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 28 13:25:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:33:22AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Most things are working well on a newly installed Athlon 64 system (the
> latest Ubuntu gave me install errors but Mandriva loaded without a hitch...)
>
> I notice that Macromedia does not make a 64-bit version of Flash player
> though they say it can be used on a 64-but OS using a 32-bit browser.
>
> It's my understanding that Firefox still runs in 32-bit mode, so it
> should be able to satisfy the above requirement. Yet they Flash install
> script aborts, saying:
>
> > ERROR: Your architecture, \'x86_64\', is not supported by the
> > Macromedia Flash Player installer.
>
> Can I safely mangle the scripts to override this, or will the resulting
> setup be unusable? Has anyone else tried this?
>
> In any case, how usable is the open source Flash player?

Well if you run a debian based distribution, installing the flash
package from marillat's archive in your 32bit chroot is simple and just
works.

If you want to install a 32bit only program while running a 64bit kernel
you need the linux32 utility (which intercepts calls to uname for
checking architecture and returns i686 instead of x86_64).  So for
example:

bash# linux32 flashplayersetup

Lennart Sorensen