Flash player on x86_64?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 28 04:33:22 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Most things are working well on a newly installed Athlon 64 system (the
latest Ubuntu gave me install errors but Mandriva loaded without a hitch...)

I notice that Macromedia does not make a 64-bit version of Flash player
though they say it can be used on a 64-but OS using a 32-bit browser.

It's my understanding that Firefox still runs in 32-bit mode, so it
should be able to satisfy the above requirement. Yet they Flash install
script aborts, saying:

 > ERROR: Your architecture, \'x86_64\', is not supported by the
 > Macromedia Flash Player installer.

Can I safely mangle the scripts to override this, or will the resulting
setup be unusable? Has anyone else tried this?

In any case, how usable is the open source Flash player?

- Evan