Off topic: generic laptop adaptor?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 23 14:39:26 UTC 2005

 From my own experience, most laptop adaptors are capable of working on
any voltage from 110 to 240, it's just a matter of having the right plug
and using the right socket. Plugging a laptop into a 220V plug always
seems to cause a spark for me, so I try to remember to plug the adaptor
into the wall before plugging it into the laptop. The British seem to
have the best idea, as most electrical sockets have their own switches.
You turn the switch off, plug in, and then switch the power on -- no sparks.

If you have to replace your laptop brick anyway, it doesn't cost much
more to get something that will work with all devices with all power
sources. Some will also work with the 12 volts provided at car cigarette
lighters or some airplane seats, and offer plugs to charge cellphones
and PDA as well as the laptop (some can charge multiple devices at the
same time).

IMO the two best sources for these adaptors are IGO (http://www.igo.com)
and UPS-maker APC
(http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=TPA90DC).
APC has even designed a series of notebook cases around the adaptor so
that you can charge (multiple) items without removing them from the case.

If you really want to travel light, there are cables for most PDAs and
cellphones that will charge them from a USB port. It's a slower charge
than a conventional brick would provide, but far smaller, lighter, and
you don't need to worry about plug adaptors for different countries.

Speaking of plug adaptors, the best one I found so far is from Japan
called the Road Warrior. It's small and fits EVERY international socket
(including South Africa and Australia):
http://www.warrior.co.jp/E/plug_adapter.htm#gocon

It's just not easily available (in Japan or by mail order). One that's
easier to find (Air Canada even sells it in its onboard duty free
catalog) is called the Travel Smart adaptor. It's bulkier, heavier and
covers fewer countries than the Japanese one, but will handle most (US,
UK, Europe).
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/onboard/dutyfree/jewel_p5.html

HTH,

Evan