Off topic: generic laptop adaptor?

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 23 01:48:49 UTC 2005

CPUsed has IBM power adaptors.

I took my laptop to Cuba last Christmas, where the line voltage is 220V. The
adaptor said it could work with 220V, so with some trepidation I plugged it
into the hotel wall outlet. There was a flash and a giant ZZZZAAAAP sound
which I'd never heard before, and so I yanked out the plug and assumed that
the adaptor was dead, dead, dead.

Got home, checked with CPUsed, and they wanted something like $75 for a new
one, which is not unreasonable given the output current of the thing.
Anyway, I decided to try the adaptor on 117VAC line. Again, the zap thing,
but a bit more subdued this time and I noticed that the laptop was charging.
So the charger survived completely.

Finding out that the adaptor survived was good, but the best part was
thinking that the laptop was out of commission during the one week holiday,
so I spent the time lounging in the pool with coloured tropical beverages
instead of working on some mind-numbing project specification document.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 05:45:31PM -0400, Francois Ouellette wrote:
> Try www.likenewcomputers.com they have off-lease IBM equipment, they may have spare power packs too.
>
>   Fran?ois Ouellette
> <fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>

Peter D. Hiscocks