'Best practices' question for a backup

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 22 23:33:56 UTC 2005

>    I have two options (as I see it, is there a third?):
>
>    1. Leave the file behind and assume that the user knew what s/he was
> doing.
>
> -OR-
>
>    2. Have my program temporarily raise the permissions to allow for the
> file to be backed up and then reset them after words.

It might be worthwhile to do both, listing them as a toggle option in
the configuration page (or file):  My preference at work would be #2,
and at home, #1.

I think I'd probably set #1 as the default behavior but make sure it's
very clear that some files may not be backed up.

Either way, a message about the default behavior - at application
first-run/config or hi-lighted in the configuration page (or file) -
might prove effective without dropping either option.

--
- SGE