'Best practices' question for a backup

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 22 17:59:18 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   I've run into an ethical/best practices question that I wanted input
from as many people as I could get on. I have a backup program that is
aimed to be generally available to the public. That said, I need to be
careful how I tell the program to work. In this case though, either
decision I think could upset someone. So....

   The problem is; when a file or directory has the permissions set to
not be world/group readable the backup program (well, 'rsync'
specifically) will fail to backup that file.

   I have two options (as I see it, is there a third?):

   1. Leave the file behind and assume that the user knew what s/he was
doing.

-OR-

   2. Have my program temporarily raise the permissions to allow for the
file to be backed up and then reset them after words.

   If I choose number 2 I will be compromising the user's settings but I
will also be getting their data off (presumably) to a safe place. The
biggest risk is the program dieing or being killed before it can restore
the permissions on the modified files (which would have to wait until
after 'rsync' finishes which could be a big window).

   If I choose 1 then I need to educate the user (or just assume the
user knows what s/he is doing) and risk missing potentially important
files in a backup.

   So what is better? Risk missing files in a backup job or risk messing
up a user's permissions? It's a tough one...

Madison