free Alpha machines

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 21 19:54:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 02:45:49PM -0400, Robin Humble wrote:
> I hope this is appropriate for this list...
>
> We have ~16 DEC Alpha machines that have computed their little hearts
> out and now need to retire to a good home.
>
> They are ev56 21164a AlphaPC(?) 164UX machines at 533MHz but
> overclocked to 600. 64M of RAM, and most with a 3.2G IDE disk. They
> have an extra (8139too compatible) NIC and a cheap video card.
> The speed is probably about the same as an equivalently clocked p2 or p3.
>
> They might be good for cross-platform Linux development and/or playing
> and/or non-x86 cool factor. They'd prob run a BSD or two as well, and
> even 'doze NT for Alpha if you can find it. Currently they are running
> RedHat 7.1 (2.4.3 kernel), and booting via ARCS bios and MILO.
>
> Most of them run but some do not. We estimate that if you took all of
> them you'd get at least half of them working.
>
> They are free, but you must come and pick them up from UofT.
> Please email me directly if you are interested.
>
> lspci, cpuinfo are attached.

Darn it for tempting me.  I don't have any alphas.

I have Sun 3/50 and 3/60s, Decstation 5000s (mips 3000), Amiga 500s (No
linux without an MMU on those), an SGI (which can't run linux at this
time).

But I would have to get downtown, and my wife would complain about yet
more computers in the house... :)

Hmm, thinking about it at least.

Lennart Sorensen