inside opinion

Chris Gow sniffy-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 21 15:27:46 UTC 2005

On September 21, 2005 08:13 am, Peter wrote:
> "I'm working in both .NET and Java now. What absolutely stuns me is how
> quickly the Java world can turn around tools and frameworks. I still
> prefer C#; however I'm working in a Beta of C# 2.0 while Java
> 5--offering nearly the same feature set--has been out for months.
>
> The Java IDE--there's really only one, Eclipse--is a 105MB zip file. You
> know how I installed it? Unzipped it. How do I run it? Click on
> Eclipse.exe.
>
> You know how I install Studio? Pay $2500 for top version (not out yet
> btw but will be about that amount or more); Insert DVD; answer inane
> questions; walk away for 2 hours; return with at least 1.5_G_B less
> diskspace and a doubled registry size.
>
> When I want something new in Eclipse, I wander around a bit on Google
> and Sourceforge; today I might add code coverage, tomorrow static
> analysis, throw in some metrics--essentially anything I need. Mostly
> free.
>
> I have yet to exceed 150MB total Eclipse directory size, and I have
> replicated and exceeded the full feature set of VS.NET 2005--which
> hasn't fucking shipped yet.
>
> Is this because Microsoft developers aren't as good as Java/open source
> developers? Hell no! (though it soon may be at current attrition rates)
> It's because middle and senious management make it impossible for smart
> people to get anything done, and vigorously punish them when they do."
>
> from:
>
> http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2005/09/three-quick-things-jobs-dynamics.html

Have you tried Mono? Its a free C# implementation which runs on Linux (Windows
too, but why would you really want that)?. There's also DotGNU another free
version of C# (doesn't get as much publicity as Mono though)

If you like eclipse, there's also a C# plugin for it:
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono_For_Linux_Developers

-- chris