inside opinion

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 21 12:13:58 UTC 2005

"I'm working in both .NET and Java now. What absolutely stuns me is how
quickly the Java world can turn around tools and frameworks. I still
prefer C#; however I'm working in a Beta of C# 2.0 while Java
5--offering nearly the same feature set--has been out for months.

The Java IDE--there's really only one, Eclipse--is a 105MB zip file. You
know how I installed it? Unzipped it. How do I run it? Click on
Eclipse.exe.

You know how I install Studio? Pay $2500 for top version (not out yet
btw but will be about that amount or more); Insert DVD; answer inane
questions; walk away for 2 hours; return with at least 1.5_G_B less
diskspace and a doubled registry size.

When I want something new in Eclipse, I wander around a bit on Google
and Sourceforge; today I might add code coverage, tomorrow static
analysis, throw in some metrics--essentially anything I need. Mostly
free.

I have yet to exceed 150MB total Eclipse directory size, and I have
replicated and exceeded the full feature set of VS.NET 2005--which
hasn't fucking shipped yet.

Is this because Microsoft developers aren't as good as Java/open source
developers? Hell no! (though it soon may be at current attrition rates)
It's because middle and senious management make it impossible for smart
people to get anything done, and vigorously punish them when they do."

from:

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2005/09/three-quick-things-jobs-dynamics.html

Peter