Free Opera Download and License

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 21 06:17:11 UTC 2005

On 8/31/05, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> A friend pointed out that Opera is giving away licenses to celebrate
> their 10th anniversary. I'm not sure when this expires as it is a 24
> hour thing. Check it out here: http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
>
> When you enter *any* email address you'll get a list of licenses for all
>   platforms on which Opera is designed to run.

3 weeks later...

Looks like they've decided to make it a little more permanent.  No ads
or licensing fees.

http://www.opera.com/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/20/opera_goes_ad-free/

Finally tried it out, and so far I love it.  The only thing I'm not
terribly happy about (at this point), is a clause in the license:

"You may not use the Software on non-PC products, devices, or embedded
in any other product, including, but not limited to, mobile devices,
internet appliances, set top boxes (STB), handhelds, PDAs, phones, web
pads, tablets, game consoles, TVs, gaming machines, home automation
systems, or any other consumer electronics devices or
mobile/cable/satellite/television or closed system based service."

A little restrictive, but I can see why they might want that - they
are a business and some of those could decent sources of revenue.

Guess I won't try putting a copy on the xbox then.  Ah well, can't win 'em all.

--
- SGE