Duplicate file finding script

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 20 17:38:55 UTC 2005

On September 20, 2005 09:27 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 05:03:59PM +0000, Jason Shein wrote:
> > For those of you whose hard drives are cluttering up with possibly
> > duplicate files, try this little script out.
>
> Or you could use this nice program:
>
> lennartsorensen at debdev1:~$ apt-cache show fdupes
> Package: fdupes
> Section: utils
> Installed-Size: 80
> Maintainer: Adrian Bridgett <bridgett-8fiUuRrzOP0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 1.40-4
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
> Filename: pool/main/f/fdupes/fdupes_1.40-4_i386.deb
> Size: 14066
> MD5sum: 8e527f7436a6394702d24bb6fd7fabca
>  FDupes uses md5sums and then a byte by byte comparison to find duplicate
>  files within a set of directories. It has several useful options
>  including recursion.
>
> Probably a bit faster than perl being a c program.
>
> Lennart Sorensen

I tried that when I was sorting my music collection, but I seem to recall that
it did not function as I required. I think that fdupes outputs as it goes (or
blindly deletes on of the duplicates) and requires constant interaction. When
dealing with thousands of files looking into the script afterwards proved to
be more feasible.

That's one of the nice things about Linux. Many different paths will lead to
the same outcome.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca