(resent) Ballmer vows to kill Linux giant Google

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 17 18:41:55 UTC 2005

On Sep 17, 2005, at 1:58 PM, James Knott wrote:

> the nice thing about OpenOffice, is that it's available
> on so many different platforms, Linux, Windows, Mac, [...]

While I have nothing against OOo and use it on Linux, its
"availability" on Mac is more theoretical than actual.  Using Fink and
X11 to install and run Mac programs isn't a reasonable way to go for
most people.  Recent quotes from various people on the Fink mailing
list, concerning OOo:
   "4 days of compiling later I'm not best pleased with the result"
   "the .org update on this computer (the faster of the two) has taken
_one week_, plus a few hours"

And, of course, even if they get through that they still don't have a
*real* Mac application.  Maybe someday....
"OpenOffice.org has announced that a native Aqua port of Open Office
for OS X has been delayed until at least 2006"
<http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/20/1526253>.

I've never cared to try, but I wonder whether the Windows version is
any more accessible.  (??)

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714