MS Access Alternatives (was: (resent) Ballmer vows to kill Linux giant Google)

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 17 17:18:05 UTC 2005

On September 17, 2005 00:48, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Is there a similar app for linux for the person who doesn't want
> to be a DBA and set up and admin MySQL or PostgreSQL ?

A comparison of OOBase beta with Knoda:
<http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/09/08/1411250&tid=73>

Knoda: <http://www.knoda.org/>

Rekall: <http://www.rekallrevealed.org/>. I find RekallWeb very
interesting.

DataKiosk: <http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=20631>

You can watch this Flash movie (on speed) demonstrating DataKiosk:
<http://web.mit.edu/~treat/Public/datakiosk.html> to get an idea of
its ease of use.

If my suggestions seem skewed towards Qt/KDE apps, it is because I am
not a Gnome user or developer. I develop apps using PyQt so I am
quite partial to Qt and KDE. There may be similar offerings from the
Gnome/GTK world.

None of the above come with an embedded database. You have to "set up
and admin" MySQL or PostgreSQL but there is not much involved in
doing that for either, especially for personal use. Most distros have
packages for both and for those source based distros like Slackware,
I have not found building either from source to be difficult at all.
I find PG is easier to install, administer, and use and has the
features that I expect of a database, unlike MySQL which promises to
have them "sometime". In a pinch, I could use MySQL but I would feel
poorer for it.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay