(resent) Ballmer vows to kill Linux giant Google

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 16 23:31:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 07:03:02PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >>I couldn't have said it better myself,
> >>and to top it all off, for all of bills illegal activity ..... the Queen Knights him ..
> >>or some such title that immediately insulted all others that held it.
> >>

> >>-tl
> >>

> > Section 9 Clause 8 of The U.S. Constitution states:
> >
> > No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
>
> So that means that the U.S. has an internal monopoly on Titles. Not only
> that, this means that the title Billionaire is essentially an internal
> proprietary naming convention for the equivalent of Knight, Protector of
> the Kingdom, Honourable fellow or what have you.
>
> Seems to me like control of land and a title 300 years ago could easily
> be equated to control of labour and markets today. That would earn billy
> an Earldom for sure in yesteryear's terminology.
>
> Finally, did Congress approve his entitlment/ing?

I will answer and then take anything else off list because I don't think it is 'linux related'

1) Congress has never approved of any entitlement for any of its citizens.

2) Although technically it can be argued that the constitution forbids government employees from take such title, there was a Sepreme Court decision in the early 1800s (I would have to look up the case) that extended it to anyone who holds citizenship.

3) It is possible to get a title as a few of the billionaires did in the 1920s by becoming British citizens, and renouncing American citizens.

4) It is also possible to be given the title in absentia thus never actually accepting it, and thus still hold the title while you are in England, but not while you are in America.

5) As part of gaining citizenship in the U.S you are required to formally renounce all such titles. There are several such situations, specifically after WWII when many landed nobility from Eastern Europe fled the communists.

I doubt Bill Gates renounced American citizenship, but its possible that he was given the title in absentia. Also, I'm not exactly sure what the ceremony requires, so I don't know if you in fact have to accept the title or if you are given the option of declining.