(resent) Ballmer vows to kill Linux giant Google

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 15 19:26:21 UTC 2005

Alex Beamish wrote:
> On 9/15/05, *Rick Tomaschuk* <rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
> <mailto:rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     [..] What is really perplexing is
>     why business, banks and government (all) would want to entrust their
>     infrastructure software needs to these guys.
>

> In the 60s, 70s and 80s, the common cry was "No one ever got fired for
> buying IBM". Then the tide turned, and over the last 20 years it's
> changed to "No one ever got fired for buying Microsoft".
>
> Microsoft is safe, it's what everyone uses, they've got the best people,
> etc. etc.
>
> Except there are a lot of people now who revel in shouting out that the
> Emperor has no clothes.
>
> Microsoft has security problems with its OS and browser; it's no longer
> what everyone uses; and these days, Google seems to be vacuuming up a
> lot of awfully good people.
>
> Perhaps the tide is turning again.

Well, as I mentioned the other day, Ontario schools are supposed to be
moving to StarOffice, as is the University of Western Ontario.  Also,
the State of Massachusetts is moving to OpenDocuments, so it is happening.

Incidentally, there's an interesting aricle about UoWO at:

<http://www.itworldcanada.com/V.aspx?i=ed798d02ea8d429b8bad>