using a wireless card w/ linux router / firewall

Chris Friedt Chfriedt-0jnyayh6ARPqzrOJbVgLALDks+cytr/Z at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 15 14:37:30 UTC 2005

Hmm... good suggestion with the cheap WiFi router, but i think a network
card would be cheaper, no? Plus I get the added advantage to learn how
to configure the open source wi-fi software on an embedded linux device
;-)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looking at cards, has anyone had
problems w/ the SMC 2802W ?

The SMC 2802W card seems to have all of the features I would want
(minus the metallic casing around the chip for EM shielding purposes).
It's the right price too :D

Aside from the SMC, has anyone on the list ever used a device by
'TrendNet' ? They're a small company operating out of Etobicoke. As much
as I'm a 'home team' / underdawg kind of guy, I'm hesitant.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Also, I'm looking to move to the Montreal area since my girlfriend had
to move there (she's doing her PhD at McGill). I'd very much love to
hear if anyone has any connections in the industry there. My education
is in E.Eng. & I'm pretty good w/ linux ;-) (shameless plug).

~/Chris

Christopher Friedt
Ryerson University
Computing & Communication Services