expose internal network to the outside world

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 15 04:43:04 UTC 2005

Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> hi folks,
>
> I have 2 computers on a home network, connected to Sympatico DSL through
> a modem
> and a cheap SMC router (Barricade  g = SMC2804WBRP-g).

[lots of stuff about DNAT snipped]

I can't say for sure if your SMC can do the trick but I've had several
unpleasant experiences with wireless SMC routers which would lead me to
believe it can't. I think there's a reason you can pick them up for dirt
cheap -- their firewalling capabilities are so limited they don't really
deserve the name!

I would recommend you replace your SMC with Linksys WRT54GS. These can be had
for about $80 to $90 and run an embedded Linux platform. It's easy to replace
the (somewhat limited but not as limited as SMC) stock firmware with the very
flexible and free OpenWRT (http://www.openwrt.org) or, if you want something
more friendly, try Sveasoft (http://www.sveasoft.com/) which isn't free but
is inexpensive.

Good luck.

P.S. I'm not affiliated with Linksys, OpenWRT, or Sveasoft. I'm just a happy
OpenWRT user.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada