expose internal network to the outside world

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 15 02:40:29 UTC 2005

Hi Matt,

I believe what you want is port forwarding, or what you referred to as
'trigger ports'.

As you described, a call on port 1000 will go to one machine, and a call to
port 2000 will go to another machine.

I believe if you had a real firewall instead of a little router (I have a
Netgear, same kind of box as yours), you could have subdomains, because
dyndns.org <http://dyndns.org> would pass
1.mydomain.dyndns.org<http://1.mydomain.dyndns.org>to your machine,
identified as
mydomain.dyndns.org <http://mydomain.dyndns.org> for further subdomain
resolution. But I'll be happy to hear an explanation from someone who knows
what they're talking about.

I use dyndns.org <http://dyndns.org> and port forwarding myself -- works
beautifully.

Alex