Installfest thoughts

ed edward.chin-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 14 20:21:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:50:12 -0400, Marcus Brubaker
<marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> It really seems that GTALUG has a very serious communication problem and
> this event just goes to illustrate it.  According to one post on this
> thread, this other form was posted on August 10th and run through some
> set of clearings.

Yes, communication seems to be a problem. If Colin McGregor would have
read the list he posted to, he would have known about the release/waiver.
Instead of checking to see if we already had a release/waiver form,(which
we did)Colin McGregor proceeded to prepare one of his own. Since his issue
was of liability, it may  have been more efficient to submit that form to
his lawyer, but as noted in his last post:

"I don't trust ANY form that has NOT been checked by a
local lawyer. As the form Eddie came up with was not
checked by a local lawyer, I don't trust it, period."

"I didn't even totally trust the lawyer I contacted,
with reason. When I got the first draft back from the
lawyer, I checked it as closely as a non-lawyer can
check things, and saw one trivial word that seemed out
of place, so I asked about it. Yes, even lawyers on
occasion can/do make typos. So again, it is a case of
check, double and triple check things. When it may be
your tail on the legal line, trust no one."

Colin has some serious issues beginning with trust and ending in
communication. Colin never brought any of his concerns to the GTAlug
executive before posting his complaints. As a member of the executive he
could have mentioned something to the rest of us. Colin has been invited
many times to run and become a member of the Board of Directors. He has
the opportunity to effect change, I encourage him to do it.

And lest we forget it. We are ALL volunteers at GTAlug and we value the
contribution of everone who participates - even if it is by merely
listening.

Lastly, congrats to the new members of the Board of Directors of GTAlug:
Seneca Cunningham, Christopher Browne, and William Park.
They join Drew Sullivan and Gordon Chillcott who have been hard at work
giving direction to the LUG.
Now, we know who to complain to! :)

--
The GTA Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.ss.org
GTALUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns