Linux Microsoft Drivers?

Tim Goodaire tgoodaire-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 14:57:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 08:17:21AM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Ok, so I have a Microsoft keyboard and mouse on my
> (main) home Linux box. Both the keyboard and mouse
> have special goodies that it would be nice to be able
> to use under Linux, the question is how?
>
> For the keyboard (a Microsoft Natural Multimedia
> Keyboard 1.0), there are several special function keys
> above the regular keys (i.e. mute, play/pause, stop,
> fast forward, rewind, etc.), and the question is how
> to put those to effective use under Linux?

You should be able to get those keys working in X with the hotkeys
package:

This program sits at the back and listens for the "special" hotkeys
that you won't normally use on your Internet/Multimedia keyboards.
The buttons perform their intended behaviors, such as volume up and
down, mute the speaker, launch applications, etc. It has On-screen
display (OSD) to show the volume, program that's being started,
etc.
.
It features an XML-based keycode configuration file format, which
makes it possible to define the hotkeys to launch any programs
you want.

Tim