automate printing of html-formatted pages?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 14:05:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 09:46:08AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> My partner needs to print out copies of all the content in her
> mid-sized, statically-generated website (I know this is a stupid idea,
> but it's for her tenure file and there are lots and lots of stupid
> elements in this process).  This seems like something one ought to be
> able to do automatically, e.g. with:

Well for a completely useless comment:

Perhaps having written in in docbook or some other xml thing, or better
yet LaTeX in the first place and had it be converted to nice html for a
web page and to nice postscript or pdf for printing would have been a
better start.  HTML isn't easy to automate for printing or turning into
other formats, since by design it isn't supposed to care about layout,
only content.  Lots of web designers seem to have forgotten this of
course.

On the other hand, I hope you find some method for getting everything
printed, besides doing it manually.  I can't currently think of one
though unless mozilla or konqueror has some scripting automation system
for doing: 'load page x.htm'; print pages; repeat for another page'

Lennart Sorensen