how to add file type handler to firefox ?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 11:07:30 UTC 2005

Hi all,

firefox is 'the most configurable browser' etc but I have a great time trying
to add a new file type handler to it, or finding information about how to do
it. The next step will be to get the source and disassemble it and find out.

Before I do that, has anyone got a solution for this. The solution should be
cross platform. Please do not point me to tutorials on the web, or to hearsay,
as I can use (and have used) a search engine myself. Please only answer if you
have actually done this (added a NEW protocol handler for a protocol that is
not supported by default, BY HAND or BY SCRIPT, i.e. not using a third party
application).

Peter