SATA OK? (and other questions for a new system

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 04:40:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:10:29PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> [ Now that the list is back up, let me re-send something that I tried
> sending last week... ]
>

> Hello all,
>
> I'm shopping for a replacement system soon, mainly server purposes for the
> home network (Samba, Hylafax) but occasionally some KDE desktop stuff and
> maybe even as a boot server for a thin client.
>
> So far it looks like it'll be an Athlon 64 mounted in an MSI or Asus mobo
> mounted in an Antec Sonata2 case, 2GB RAM and a Geforce 6200 video card.
> There are a few remaining questions:
>
> 1) How important is it (given the above tasks) to spend $170 more to expand
> the RAM to 2GB?

This depends on how many thin-clients you'll be using simultaneously,
and how hard the server will be put to test.  As point of reference, if
your server can handle X simultaneous users, then it should be able to
handle X thin-clients.  Thin-clients has XDM/GDM/KDM overhead, but it's
surprisingly low.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell