Installfest thoughts

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 01:50:12 UTC 2005

[Sent at the start of the TLUG list blackout, resending now.]

Colin McGregor wrote:

>- Did I not promote the event in the right places?

No, I think computer stores and college/university campuses are exactly
the right places to promote events like this.  Students and people who
frequent computer stores are the audience that an installfest should be
aiming at.  People more technically inclined are likely to have already
given it a shot and those less inclined are unlikely to even know what
Linux is or have an interest in it.

>- Was the date wrong (i.e.: end of summer)?

YES!  End of summer means that students (and most everyone else) is busy
enjoying what little nice weather we have left and (for the students)
preparing for the coming year of school.  Not exactly a time when people
want to spend time messing with their computer.  Although, as I recall
from some early emails about this event, the idea was to have the "first
one" at a time when there wouldn't be a large response so that
organizers could get a feel for how things work.

>- Something else?

This is pure speculation, but I wonder whether or not the technical
community has moved past the need/desire for linux installfests.  Linux
has gotten a lot easier to install on anything but the most unusual of
hardware.  It has also gotten a lot easier to get with the proliferation
of high speed internet connections and CD burners not to mention
availability in brick-and-mortar stores.  So for a moderately competant
computer user there isn't much need to attend an installfest.  For
anyone less competant I'm not sure that they will know enough of Linux
to really understand what it is or why they may want it.

>Other concerns, who speaks for GTALUG? I arranged for
>a release form (not needed this time out) to be
>checked and vetted by a local lawyer. Part way through
>the event I found those forms had been hidden under a
>pile of release forms that as far as I could tell had
>NOT been checked by an Ontario lawyer (never mind by
>one that I trust). Now, again the comes questions
>comes up, who speaks for GTALUG, at least for this
>this event I thought I was... Further could these
>other release forms expose myself and/or GTALUG to
>legal liability?

It really seems that GTALUG has a very serious communication problem and
this event just goes to illustrate it.  According to one post on this
thread, this other form was posted on August 10th and run through some
set of clearings.  That no one noticed that Colin was apparently also
creating/checking/clearing a release form and did the courteous thing of
emailing him about this is really a shame.  As far as I saw on this
list, Colin was the "point man" for organizing this event but it seems
that GTALUG was also doing some of their own organization without really
talking to Colin.  Stepping on the work of a volunteer is not the way to
encourage more of it and I hope that Colin is not too jaded by this
experience, as it seems he did an excellent job of putting everything
together.

This kind of event is precisely what GTALUG should help run more
smoothly since there is one centralized body in charge and in the know.
I don't want to start another pointless flamewar about the
necessity/validity/authority/whatever of GTALUG but if the GTALUG people
are listening, a community group only works so long as the community
supports and interacts with it.  Without better communication with and
sensitivity towards the community GTALUG risks being effectively
stillborn.  I sincerely hope that the annual general meeting in
September serves to improve the situation.

Regards,
Marcus