In defence of C

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 28 18:17:30 UTC 2005

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Alex is right about the terseness; I recall that programs were rarely more
> than 60 characters long. You'd type the handful of characters on the
> typewriter, hit enter, and stand back as reams of output spewed out. I
> would say that APL makes Perl look like COBOL.

Many years ago, BYTE magazine published one program in an APL theme issue
which was longer than 60 characters. It was John Conway's Game of Life in
single line of APL containing approximately 200 characters.

APL makes most program languages look easy to read and comprehend.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: