The history of the world: part 1 (was Re:Re: In defence of C)

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 27 02:52:03 UTC 2005

On 10/26/05, Boctor,Robert [Ontario] <Robert.Boctor-5jPdWwX6g8k at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Are we able to have a similar one for "History of Linux Distributions"?
> Other people have asked this question.

Though this certainly doesn't mean that one does not currently exist,
I've been unable to locate a visual timeline for the releases of
various Linux Distributions.

Resources that I'm aware of, at the moment, are primarily:
- Kernel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Linux_development
- Everything else: http://lwn.net/Articles/Timeline2004/ (links to
prior years also available)

I might suggest to the community that converting the textual timelines
to a visual one might make a decent, and useful project if it has not
been previously done.

I would offer to lead such a project were I not already buried with tasks:

Requests such as this offer the chance for us, as a community, to do
something for others.  A natural by-product is the enhancement of
mind-share between LUG's, Industry, and Government.  I am certain this
is only going to become increasingly important in the years ahead.

To hopefully add a little more incentive, laminated copies of a visual
timeline might even make decent LUG-swag.

--
Scott Elcomb
Fight might with Right.  Your Right.

2375+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60