Cafe Press Swag (was Marketing ideas)

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 19:56:21 UTC 2005

--- Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10/26/05, interlug-list <interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:26, Peter wrote:
> > > http://www.zazzle.com/design/
> > > http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/
> >
> > I was disappointed by the "iron-on" appearance of
> Cafe Press shirts.
> > The Cafe Press mugs are not bad.
>
> What slays people is the thought of Cafe Press
> thongs...  Not the "wear on feet" variety...  And
> no, I doubt that giving out thongs would work out
> well :-)

Well, I have a bottom of the line Badge-A-Minit button
press (http://www.badgeaminit.com), which works fairly
well, as long as one is willing to apply a LOT of
preasure during the button making process (after about
10 buttons my hands start to feel like rubber).
Assuming one does a large enough volume the cost per
button can be under $0.25/button. Now, maybe I am a
bit jaded, but I figure most people will grab a button
at a trade show, say "That's cute!", drop in a swag
collecting bag, and then it will almost never be seen
again...

What does excite me more as a swag item is the likes
of case badges, such as : http://www.scotgold.com/ . A
few years ago I bought 20 badges from the above firm,
kept a few for myself and then sold the rest to other
TLUG members. Still gives me a (small) kick to see a
little Tux on the front of my PC clone :-) . That is
what I would want as a cheap swag item from a trade
show (granted USB memory keys, and light-up pens are
also very cool swag items, but a little pricy...).

As for T-shirts, about the only time I wear T-Shirts
is when I am doing some @#$% job like sanding or
painting (i.e. jobs where I know my clothes may be
damaged, and I want clothes that I don't care about).
In other words, while I will grab swag T-shirts they
are not a priority...

Colin McGregor