In defence of C

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 17:59:24 UTC 2005

Alex Beamish wrote:

> From what I remember of APL, it was seriously terse -- someone
> described it as "Chicken scratches crossed with Greek." Having
> developed in Perl for a couple of years, I would say APL makes Perl
> look like BASIC.

During the brief time I worked with APL, the interface was a converted
IBM selectric typewriter with a special "golf ball" and keyboard overlay
to produce the chicken scratches.

Alex is right about the terseness; I recall that programs were rarely
more than 60 characters long. You'd type the handful of characters on
the typewriter, hit enter, and stand back as reams of output spewed out.
I would say that APL makes Perl look like COBOL.

The best thing about APL to me was its acronym.

- Evan