Linux World / Network World 2006

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 02:19:33 UTC 2005

Quotes from two different emails in this thread follow.  I'll try to
keep the attribution straight.

Apples.

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 21:26, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, psema4 wrote:
> > I do not see how a members' privacy could be affected by providing a
> > mailing address in the negotiations between any "business-like" entity
> > (agg, what's the correct term?) and any other.  Giving the mailing
> > address for GTALUG (if we had one) to Plumcorp, for contractual
> > purposes, should not affect me as a member in any way.  Does it?  If
> > I'm missing something here, I'd really like to know.  (thx)
>
>       I can't imagine Plumcorp doing it without a contact name and
>       address, whether that is the "Head Office" or a member's
>       address.

Oranges.

> > On October 23, 2005 18:01, William Park wrote:
> > > Speaking for myself (and few others outside GTALUG), my problems
> > > are 1. they want street address of TLUG members.
> > >     2. they want no demoing of TLUG members' work or business.
> > >
> > > 1.  This is easy.  We have no street address to give out.  So,
> Plum
> > > Com can take it or leave it.
> >
> > Not to mention that even if you had such information, it would quite
> > likely be illegal under the Privacy Act to hand it over to another
> > party without the express permission of the members.

The Apples conversation is about the business address of GTALUG.  The
Oranges conversation is about the addresses of each of the LUG members.
Looks like somebody is misinterpreting the conversation with Plum, one
way or another.

Can GTALUG trade LUG-member addresses away as part of a contract?  I
don't know, pay your lawyer to get an opinion.  The applicable Canadian
legislation might just be here (PIPEDA and The Privacy Act)
http://www.privcom.gc.ca/legislation/02_06_01_e.asp at the Office of the
Privacy Commissioner of Canada.  Many membership type web sites allow
you select whether you want to share your contact info or not when you
register.

Not a lawyer. Not legal advice.