Linux World / Network World 2006

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 25 00:11:03 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne wrote:

> I believe there were some problems with how the user group booth went,
> two years ago.  I seem to recall it being overrun with people trying
> to do 8 different things, and I certainly got the impression that
> several were trying to hawk their own consulting services.
>
> It seems to me that there are some probable participants in staffing
> such a booth that might have an interest in that sort of thing, which
> must be handled with great care lest it be really rather
> inappropriate.
>
> I'll definitely carry that issue with me into the discussion.

> If William uses the booth to promote his USB key-based distributions,
> that would probably contribute to the "overrun" property.  But there's
> probably a way to handle it that would be not inappropriate...
>
> Thanks for your comments, Evan; they are even (particularly?) useful
> when they disagree with some of my notions.

I'd like to clarify that I'm NOT in a Linux-centric business. Heck, I'm
a working stiff. I was playing the devil's advocate.

I remember asking Matthew Rice at a Metro Convention Centre show a few
years back "Where is the TLUG booth?" He answered "They couldn't get
their act together." He was giving a presentation/seminar that day.

I understand Evan's concerns and blindly following "Individual members
may not promote their own work or business." is unacceptable. What kind
of professional/consultant cannot even disclose what he/she does?

Evan's comments are valid and he has offered to mediate. GTALUG can take
Evan's comments as a basis for discussion and formulating an acceptable
policy.

Over to you, Christopher; I've said enuf :-)

Meng