PS3-XBOX 360 as Linux Graphics workstations

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 24 21:58:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>> What would be very cool would be to generate libraries or such that
>> can automate the offloading of computational effort.
>
> If you could come up with a generic automated way to make programs
> multithreaded, you would probably become very rich.

PI calculus is said to be a formal model for representing such programs.
It can be very hairy, and I know very little about it, but I know that
f.ex. MUD role-playing games can be split across several CPUs relatively
easily because each player/node only sees a small part of the world at
any one time, and because the tasks to be done at each cpu are clearly
defined beforehead.

I have some experience with remotely synchronized state machines
(hardware and software) and I can say that it gets hairy very fast. The
telecom industry has a lot of experience with such networks and I think
that they have funded a large part of the research for parallel
computing efforts. The other large contributor was transputer research.

The act of parsing a program for possibly parallel tasks and splitting
them across available nodes for execution is very much like printed
circuit layout algorythms (like a travelling salesman algorythm but with
more interesting constraints and in N dimensions). The act of parsing
such a program can be harder than actually running it afterwards, and
proving that the split/spread is optimal is even worse.

Peter