Linux World / Network World 2006

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 24 04:14:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 09:25:36PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> William Park wrote:
>
> >Speaking for myself (and few others outside GTALUG), my problems are
> >   1. they want street address of TLUG members.
> >   2. they want no demoing of TLUG members' work or business.
> >
> >2.  This is my main problem.

> PS: One possibility for error here is in a potential wording
> misinterpretation. William stated that plumcom demanded "no demoing of
> TLUG members' work or business" at a free booth. The word "work" could
> be interpreted as commercial effort OR it could mean any kind of work
> including an open source project. I agree with the restriction on
> commercial use, but I don't think that Plum would object to the
> showing of LUG-endorsed members' open source projects. That ambiguity
> can be corrected with a simple wording change that I'm sure the Coles
> could agree to.

Exact wording is
    "Individual members may not promote their own work or business."

As for GTALUG's purpose...  Irrespective of incorporation,
non-incorporation, for-profit, not-for-profit, GTALUG must provide
benefit to the members.  Otherwise, people will not join, and GTALUG
will not grow.

Tradeshow demos serve self-interests for all concerned.  What those are,
it'll be left as homework exercise for the readers.  My fear is that the
condition will stand, even if GTALUG pays for the booth.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell