Linux World / Network World 2006

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 22 16:49:10 UTC 2005

On 10/22/05, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I don't think people will be bringing in their laptop or tower.  Rather,
> we should have machines there for them to play with.  Since install
> takes 1 hour, most people won't stick around.  They come, see, touch,
> chat, and leave.

I'd really hate the idea of carrying a laptop around, personally,
unless, and this is a pretty big unless, I had a pretty sure
expectation of decent wireless access.  And I don't think that's too
likely, in view of the show organizers charging booths for such
things.

And I don't imagine RWL being a particularly wonderful venue for
interest in an InstallFest.  We discovered that the August arrangement
didn't attract much interest, which was a bit of a surprise; I think a
retry should involve careful planning so as to maximize interest.

> But, TLUG may not be there at all.  Stay tuned.

In a sense, TLUG wouldn't be, anyways, because it's GTALUG that they'd
be talking to.

But yeah, as the contractual obligations of putting in a booth have
emerged, there seem to be things to have reservations about.

Suffice it to say, at this point, that if something is offered "for
free" by people who normally charge heavily for it, there's likely to
be *some* price to be paid.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)