PS3-XBOX 360 as Linux Graphics workstations

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 22 04:28:57 UTC 2005

On 10/21/05, lfeder <lfeder-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So I was thinking, of using PS3's as Linux graphic workstations.
> Is any work being done on this when the PS3 is available?
Latest reports indicate that the PS3's hard drive attachment (sold
separately) will ship with a bootable GNU/Linux installation. So you
can presumably use this hard drive along with a USB/Bluetooth keyboard
and mouse and have yourself a nice workstation.

Keep in mind that developing for Cell is not exactly child's play. You
probably could just recompile something like Blender but there's no
guarentee that it would run any better than on a midrange PC. IBM is
investing in Cell-based Linux servers, so maybe we'll see some neat
adaptations of GCC.

Also, Sony is changing the specs and features of the PS3 on a nearly
weekly basis, frequently for the worst. I'm not trying to be
pessimistic, but I would recommend taking everything PS3-related with
a grain of salt.

As a gamer I'll be waiting for the Nintendo Revolution before
investing in the next generation of consoles, but maybe the PS3 will
become the must-have Free Software workstation!

--
Get Firefox - Take back the Web
http://www.getfirefox.com/