[TLUG] CF vs. USB (was: Linux World / Network World 2006)

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 21 20:31:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:52:33PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:47:43PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > What's your rationale for going with CF card, as opposed to straight USB
> > keys?
>
> Probably that USB booting is rediculously non standardized,

Agreed.  But, it's getting pretty good.  I've been able to boot from
most motherboards which claims USB boot features.  SiS chipset is most
troublesome.

One thing that bit me, was some motherboard remembers which device you
booted last time, and will boot from that device.  You need to
'poweroff' or turn off-on the AC power.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell