[good] Re:Re: [TLUG] CF vs. USB (was: Linux World / Network World 2006)

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 21 19:42:59 UTC 2005

I do sell my customers on the fact that they can swap the CF themselves,
to upgrade or to fix an issue.
This of course is a feature they may never use,
in which case having the usb key in the box is fine.
Have you identified a rock solid mobo that boots from USB reliably
that you would recommend.
I usually use INTEL cause my clients like to hear that cause i am trying to
sway a purchase away from a cisco (or similar)
but i respect asus and to a ever slightly lesser extent gigabyte and tyan.

This whole cheapening out on the capasitor scam that blowup (literal and figuratively)
a while back really gets me paranoid,
cause even thou i have done digital electronis in school,
I was lulled into the claims of many years of life span for a mobo,
and just assumed that the caps where reasonable quality.
But when it came out that to lessen mobo costs the caps that go into some of these mobo
(even to the likes of asus,etc) can be one-year to blow (if 24x7)
and i have had a few mother board ultimate stop because of caps poping,
i really only select mobo with brand name rock solid looking caps on them.
So that got me spooked into going with paying 150$ more for a intel board that is
probably lesser features then a asus, but i know the caps on the intel are good for atleast 10 years
at 24x7 and some of my clients may verywell be running this stuff 10 years from now, as they would
expect from a ciso as well.
I also set up watercooling with front mount dash, and put in really low speed CPU's
so that the box might even survive if the water pump seizes.
Basically i just try to build a box that has an outside chance of 10 years uptime.
I also use a watchdog pci card with termperature sensor so i can give the client
not only the (remote) ability to read the temperatures of their boxes but also
of the data centers temperature as well, which is really important because data centers
have AC issues, and i know in a few cases have had temperatures hit over 90-degree , so clients
like to be able to have stats to push back in the ISP face :)

-tl