OT Anybody got underexposed digital photos?

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 21 14:25:10 UTC 2005

On October 21, 2005 12:21 am, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 08:43:44PM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote
>
> > Back when photography was done with film, selectively correcting
> > under/over exposure used to be done by 'dodging'.
>
>   [...deletia...]
>
> > I suspect there are lasso tools in gimp etc that do similar things.
>
>   Correct.  But...
>
>   1) It's painful tracing around a complex shape that you want to mask.
>
>   2) It works OK if you have consistently bright and consistently dark
>      areas.  Try doing it with a picture with gradients or multiple
>      areas with multiple in-between levels of brightness.
>
>   3) Unless you're really good, the process leaves ugly artifacts that
>      make the editing obvious.
>
>   An automated tool that boosts brightness more for darker areas is the
> way to go.  The whole point behind computers is to do the grunt work for
> us.

The newer versions of GIMP v2.3+ include the SIOX algorithm for automatically
selecting forground images for masking.
 http://www.siox.org/

They have a video available here
http://www.siox.org/video_seg.html

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca