OT Anybody got underexposed digital photos?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 21 04:23:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 06:35:28PM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote
> Walter Dnes wrote:
> >  Or even more of a nightmare, digital photos where one section is
> >properly exposed, and the rest is underexposed?
>
> Are you sure it's not just a metering problem? Or that you may need
> to learn the joys of exposure lock? I often shoot with ultra-wide
> lenses (HFOV > 100 degrees), and those'll learn ya to meter correctly
> right quick.

  Some stuff that I didn't mention, but should've...

  1) The camera does have various auto modes.  But in really low-light
situations, even with the aperture cranked wide open, it still wants
1/8th second or longer exposure times.  That doesn't produce good
pictures with a handheld camera, and I can't lug around a tripod all the
time.

  2) Even if a longer exposure on a tripod is possible, it works only
with "still life" photos, not with active people.

  3) Real life doesn't always present you with studio lighting.  In many
cases, it's a matter of exposing for a point of interest, and forget
about the rest of the image.  Either zoom in now or crop after the fact.

  In cases 1) and 2) above, my only real choice is either shutter
priority or manual mode, and force an exposure short enough that the
picture isn't blurred.  I can brighten up an under-exposed image.  I
can't un-blur a badly blurred image.

  In case 3) enhancement after-the-fact is also necessary.

  Given a consumer camera (Panasonic FZ5) there are situations where I
have no business expecting a good picture.  All I can realistically hope
for is to push the limits a bit further, and improve marginal photos.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.