OT Anybody got underexposed digital photos?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 21 04:21:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 08:43:44PM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote

> Back when photography was done with film, selectively correcting
> under/over exposure used to be done by 'dodging'.

  [...deletia...]

> I suspect there are lasso tools in gimp etc that do similar things.

  Correct.  But...

  1) It's painful tracing around a complex shape that you want to mask.

  2) It works OK if you have consistently bright and consistently dark
     areas.  Try doing it with a picture with gradients or multiple
     areas with multiple in-between levels of brightness.

  3) Unless you're really good, the process leaves ugly artifacts that
     make the editing obvious.

  An automated tool that boosts brightness more for darker areas is the
way to go.  The whole point behind computers is to do the grunt work for
us.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca