Linux World / Network World 2006

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 02:47:14 UTC 2005

On 10/19/05, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>
> >How can people make money from Open Source?
> >

> This is an importrant question, but I don't think it's the right topic
> at the tradeshow.
>
> The show floor is a parade of vendors offering examples of how to
> make/save money from open source. Arguably, that is the prime purpose of
> the show. A user group should offer a contrast, a breather, something
> that vendors can't or won't talk about.
>
> If the goal is to interest people in {T,NewT,GTA}LUG, you don't want to
> offer the same kind of presentations as the vendors.

This is where I think the fud-buster idea is good.  Those vendors are
marketing something.  FUD is an important part of modern marketing.

To combat that (in a part such as I can do), there is also this:
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/discuss/5786

(I'm sorry, don't know a way at the moment to list the entire thread
the way this list can be on gmane.  I absolutely love that about
gtalug's list.  :-)

--
- SGE