Linux World / Network World 2006

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 01:01:11 UTC 2005

> [snip]
> How can people make money from Open Source? I hear this question all
> the time from customers. They are used to paying for software and
> figure that if a given software package is free, its author did not
> believe it was good enough to sell.

This is a relatively large topic and there are 5 or 6 business models*
built around selling open source and related services.  A good place
to start though is with the definition of "free."  One of the original
reasons for coining the term "Open Source" was to try and clarify the
meaning of "free software."  It does _not_ necessarily mean free as in
cost, but was originally intended to be free as in "freedom."

It's the main reason I prefer the acronym f/loss (Free/Libre and Open
Source Software) or foss...  the libre portion gives context to the
word free.

* Will have to dig up some old bookmarks that cover these.  When I
find them, I can post 'em or send them to you off list to review if
you'd like.

--
- SGE