Linux World / Network World 2006

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 00:08:41 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>>Herb Richter was noting that he has wanted
>>a "Which Linux Distribution Do You Choose When/Why?"
>>type meeting for some time, and he was suggesting that
>>might be a great topic for a meeting at the show.
>>

>To me that sounds like exactly the kind of topic you wouldn't want.  It
>always turns into a huge distribution war when that topic comes up,
>unless you don't allow any questions/opinions to be stated by the
>audience.

I think the subject of distributions is worth discussing at the show,
but I suggest a slightly different spin that will both serve our aims at
the show and have an excellent chance of avoiding what Lennart
justifiably fears above.

Remember the audience. This is NewTLUG, designed for newbies, presenting
at a tradeshow in order to attract more newbies and possibly some
vendors. We want something that's informative without being preachy.

I suggest a theme of "Linux distributions: What are they, why are there
so many, and how do you choose?".

There is a certain amount of FUD out there that considers Linux's
hundreds of distributions an obstacle. Even some (IMO misguided) Linux
supporters think that a significant shakedown or consolidation is
necessary before Linux sufficiently gets into the mainstream. I dealt
with this issue four years ago in a ZDNet article
(http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6033_16-4205690.html) but it's still
relevant now.

Yes, there should be a brief overview of each of the major
distributions, each preferably given by a user of it, describing
particular strengths and focus. But these should not come until AFTER
addressing the basic questions:

- What is a distribution?
- Who can make one and how would they do it?
- Why would anyone make a new one when there are already so many good
ones out there?
- Why are some distributions free and some sold commercially?
- What's the difference between Fedora and RedHat? Between Debian and
Ubuntu?
- Can you mix free and non-free software?
- What are the factors to consider when choosing one to use?

The answers to these are not obvious to the mainstream.

I volunteer to be presenter of the general part, and collector of the
various people to speak on each distro.

- Evan