Canadian academia and open source

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 19 16:42:45 UTC 2005

Very true,
its common for a person at a school board to receive a nice portable (for home use, and oddly enough
never documented :)   )
by the supplier of all this over-price Microshaft stuff.
In a Opensource environment, it is very hard to  grease the
the buyers. Even if they bought linux and staroffice, of course the margins are not there
to leave behind a 5K$ portable in the car of the customer after the lunch meeting
(which of course was a very expensive lunch  and pay for by the supplier :)   )
Now if the schools bought HW and opensource deployment from a single entity
then the school board wouldn't have to fear losing their greasing (as much).
Being a supplier, I have often found that the subtle hints for greasing also
happen over time, sometime even two years, before you are greasing at the 2-5% level.
So a change of supplier, then involves some time to establish a re-greasing environment.

-tl